Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Wæs Hæil!!

Wæs hæil & welcome to the Chesswas family weblog. I have created this website for the purpose of sharing with fellow Chesswas family members, friends, and genealogy and history enthusiasts, the history of the Chesswas family both in England and across the globe.

Firstly, a bit about who I am and why I care. Growing up on the Chesswas family farm in Tututawa, Stratford, I knew little of our family history. I knew that my grandfather had been born in an isolated valley (Waitotara) in the middle of nowhere (between Taranaki & Wanganui) at the end of the Earth (New Zealand), and that his ancestors were probably the cheesemakers of Was, and were obviously German, as the town of Was must have been German (it just sounds like it is!). Six years ago, though, I began a journey of discovery, and I now know that the Chesswas family were not German but English, that "Chess" probably has more to do with their probable Cheshire origins than with Cheese, and that there are no towns in Germany called "Was".

The journey began sitting at a computer at Massey University. My parents had just purchased a new computer and opened their first email account, and I had written them an email. As I sat and scrolled through my inbox I discovered a reply, but not from my parents.

"Sorry, I can't help you with your financial situation", the email read, "but I do know that your father is John Chesswas, your grandfather is Walter and that you are my sixth cousin, twice removed and we share the same ancestor John Chesswas who was born in 1697."

The email I had received was from Graham Chesswas of England, and I realised I had emailed hotmail.com instead of xtra.co.nz. Graham's uncle Donald Chesswas had begun compiling a book on the family history, and had known about our branch in New Zealand since the 1970s. While he had been in touch with some members of the New Zealand clan, my mother and father apparently did not know and were still stuck on the "Cheesemakers of Was" story.

My father seldom spoke of, or cared for, family history, and it seems many Kiwi blokes are the same. After all, our grandfathers and great-grandfathers were so busy doing the work of settlers and pioneers that they just didn't have the time, energy or sentimentality to spend on such leisurely pursuits. Furthermore, as the story goes, they had often left family backgrounds riddled with poverty and oppressed by the English class system, where family defined everything about you. Rather than reproducing the past they were focused on creating the future - a vision of a New Zealand where men were free and all were equal, and where one would be defined by their own character and achievements rather than that of their families.

My generation, though, has been barraged through our TVs and radios with American culture and continental ideas, and advertising tells us every day that life is all about the individual getting what he or she wants. Liberal governments and schooling have emphasised the rights of the individual, and have produced policies and laws that have had devastating effects on families. The social fabric of our nation has changed to the point that the family is almost becoming an endangered species. At the same time there has been a revival of whanau (family) and whakapapa (genealogy) among the Maori of our nation (New Zealand), which I began to learn about in my studies at Massey University, and which made me start to wonder about my own culture and heritage. So when I began emailing Graham and his uncle Donald all those years ago it sparked an enthusiasm in me to learn all I could about my ancestors, my cultural heritage, my connection with those dusty old history books on the shelf.

I have been in contact with many different members of the Chesswas family - here in New Zealand, across the ditch in Australia, in the States and, of course, in the mother country England. Donald published the Chesswas Family History in Easter 2003, which happened to coincide with the first NZ Chesswas family reunion for about 25 years. I have a lot of information at hand to share for the benefit of family members, genealogists, historians and friends, and will endeavour to update this site regularly and do my best to give it a user-friendly format. I also imagine I will be able to set it up so other family members have the ability to make their own posts and add more information, so the site can act as a place for exchanging information and getting a better picture of just what it means to be....

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just cannot believe that there is a Chesswas web. I am born and bred in Melbourne, Australia and i got my surname from my Father Phillip George Chesswas. I am always getting asked where is it from? and i say well, my Mum says it's Welsh? I have no idea why i am telling you all of this but then again maybe i will learn even more about our name. Umm, where is the Chesswas street sign? And i wonder why? The Kiwi mention is interesting because even though i don't know my Dad well i can distinctly remember someone or other mentioning that in our history (Kiwis)and i was just wondering about it yesterday, before i saw your sight. There's not many Chesswas' in Australia.

Donna -Lee Chesswas

A. J. Chesswas said...

Hi Donna-Lee, welcome to the blog. It's members of the clan like yourself that I had in mind when setting up this site, and I'm glad to be of assistance.

I found your name on the family tree, and like Graham we have to go as far back as the 18th century to find our common ancestor; John Chesswas (b1697). That makes us eighth cousins!

I wonder where your Mum got the idea Chesswas is Welsh. The furthest back we can trace the name is to the towns of Whitchurch (1608) & Wrenbury (1564) - both English towns, but both near the Welsh border. Because of the proximity to Wales, and our good singing ability, I had pondered a connection. But Whitchurch is also near Cheshire, and Wrenbury is in Cheshire, which is so similar to our name that it must have some correlation. There is also a village near the border with Cheshire called Cheswardine!

There are three different Aussie/NZ Chesswas branches - ours, yours, and the descendants of James Chesswas (b1824). James settled in Penshurst, about 3 hours west of Melbourne, in the late 1860s. His son James George Chesswas was a prominent man in the Penshurst community, and it is after him that Chesswas Street was named.

Before settling in Australia James Chesswas Snr and his brother John spent 10-20 years in New Zealand. I have seen pictures of Chesswas men who served in the NZ Maori land wars. They may have been James and his brother John, but, given you remember someone mentioning some Kiwi in your history, then perhaps your ancestors also stopped by on the way to Aussie.

I have met a grandson of James George, who lives in Melbourne, as well as his daughter and granddaughter who live in Noosa. My sister lived in Melbourne last year, so I went over for a visit and met up with them all in Melbourne. They gave me directions to Penshurst and I went for a drive, got the photo, and heard some stories from some of the locals about the last Chesswas of Penshurst - Jack Chesswas, who recently passed away. Before he died he wrote some memoirs about the early history of Penshurst which includes references to his family. Those memoirs are online at the following address:

http://members.datafast.net.au/boram/chesswarch.htm

By the way, I found this photo which contains faces you'll find familiar, as well as those of my two great-aunts, and James Chesswas' grandson!

http://www.geocities.com/chezznz/philches.JPG

(copy and paste to your web browser)

A. J. Chesswas said...

By the way, you can email me at allanchesswas@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

just wait until we get chesswas.com up n running how cool another Donna Chesswas thats my sisters name. Hi Donna.

Anonymous said...

Hi Graham!
I was surprised to see your comment as it's been a while since anyone's really made any comments. And there's another me! Well Well! Good one, i'm sure she's tops :) So, are you in New Zealand or Oz?
Bye for now

Anonymous said...

Or...wait... hang on, that must be you the Graham Chesswas from England!? Sorry, it's been a while since i've read through the blog!

Anonymous said...

Yep in England Donna great to meet you hehe. Im working hard on getting our history in the 1500`s sorted so will keep updates. Thus far our family is 500 years old in its line.

Anonymous said...

wow i was just googling my name and found this site. i married into the Chesswas name about a year ago now and i know my husband has tried to find his history but has not had much luck. my husband's name is Richard Chesswas he grew up in Melbourne, Australia, his fathers name is Garry Chesswas and is the grandson of Harold Chesswas the Collingwood AFL Player in the 1920's. Its weird just only jast week i was reading about Chesswas Street in Penhurst and told my husband about it he is already planning a road trip there :) do you know where can i find a copy of the Chesswas family tree i (as well as my husband and father in law) would be really interested in seeing it if possible.
cheers Tanya

A. J. Chesswas said...

Hi Tanya. Thanks for commenting here. You're the first I've come across from Harry "Bottles" Chesswas's line. Donna-lee, whose comments are above, is also in Melbourne and she's probably Richard's 4th cousin or something like that. You have to go way back to connect with our NZ line, we're like 10th cousins or something, just like we're 10th cousins with Graham who also commented above.

I've found Gary, grandson of Harry on the tree, but Richard didn't make it to print for some reason. Gary has a daughter called Leanne - is that Richard's sister? I think ym great-aunt is planning on going to Melbourne sometime soon, and might be meeting with Donna and getting her a copy of the family tree. I'll pass your details onto her too if you like. You can email me AJChesswas@maxnet.co.nz

How did you find out about Chesswas Street? I found it by googling the Chesswas name, which I've been doing since way back in 1999. Quite interesting the things u find :)

Allan

Anonymous said...

Hi Tanya yes i do believe i had some email contact with a Richard chesswas a whileback from melbourne his pa was Garry John chesswas from bundoora melbourne i can provide a digital copy of the tree if necessary just email me at graham@chesswas.com and i can send it oh and there is a chesswas.com site at http://chesswas.com its registered until the end of the decade and is a family portal which will gsin secure access for family members as soon as i write the code lol.

Anonymous said...

Oh and i think the author of the penhurst website that published a lot of history of the australian Chesswas told me that the chesswas street existed and sent me a picture must have been way back in the 90`s Allan paid it a visit as you see lol

Anonymous said...

Graham introduced me to this sight. I think its great. Well done Allan! It is good to see the younger generations of our various branches getting to know each other. I have passed a digital copy of my booklet to Graham so that he can pass it on to our new members of the Chesswas clan and hopefully you will all help him to carry on the search for our ancestors from where I and the other oldies have arrived so far. Best wishes to you all from Huddersfield, England.

A. J. Chesswas said...

Hi Donald. Great to have you here. I'm still humming away with my research on life in colonial NZ to help understand the life of the early Chesswases here, and once I've done that I'll probably start updating this site more regularly and let everyone know. In the meantime it's a good way of helping long lost Chesswases find their place in the clan :)

A. J. Chesswas said...

p.s. nice blurb on the Chesswas.com site Graham...

Anonymous said...

Cheers Allan ill get to doing something a bit more with it as soon as i manage to fix my HP server as a mention is your sis still over here be lovely to catch her whilst she is here.

Anonymous said...

hi my name is faye chesswas i am young but i am interested in the chesswas family history.i noticed you mentioned a man named Donald Chesswas and im pretty sure hes my grandad as he was the one who created the chesswas family history booklet in 2003 which i am holding right now. small world!!

Anonymous said...

i was just looking through the chesswas family history booklet when i noticed the name graham andrew chesswas born 5th march 1974 page 21 is this the graham who has posted comments?? i am on page 19....

A. J. Chesswas said...

Hi Faye, welcome to the site... sorry I didn't notice you there until now, for some reason I don't get notified by email when there's a comment anymore.

The book is such a brilliant endeavour on your grandfather's part. Do you know him well?

Yes, that is the Graham you mentioned in the book who comments here. Is your father John (going by memory) who visited New Zealand a while ago? I haven't met any of your close family though - Graham, Donald, John - but hope to when I come to England.

Bye for now

Anonymous said...

Hi all im Matt Chesswas from Melbourne and also Donna's half brother. Haven't seen her for a long time but hope to meet up as i have a family of my own now. Well as far as i know Bottles was my dads great uncle. My grandfather was George Chesswas. If you could get back to me with where i stand in the family that would be great

Matt Chesswas said...

hi Donna if you want to catch up you can email me at mtchez@bigpond.com because id like to see you and Nathan if you would like so i hope you get this

A. J. Chesswas said...

Hi Matt... welcome to the Chesswas family weblog...

All of the known Chesswas family in the world are descended from John Chesswas (1697).

Us Kiwi Chesswases are descended from John's eldest son, John (1728), as are the Chesswases from Devon, the USA, and the other Melbourne family from Penshurst.

Your family, like Graham, Donald and Faye, are descended from John's youngest son, George (1739). George had three wives (in succession) - your family is descended from his first marriage, while Graham's family are descended from his third marriage.

George's great-grandson, Thomas Chesswas, emigrated to Victoria with his brother, where your great-great-grandfather Frank was born in 1863.

I can arrange to get you a copy of the tree if you like. Will keep in touch...

Matt Chesswas said...

Thanks heaps mate that would be great hope to chat soon.

Anonymous said...

hi im christine the mother of richard chesswas i was married to garry john chesswas i hope my son richard is able to catch up one day with someone from your family who is his namesake.

A. J. Chesswas said...

Hi Christine - already have thanks to facebook, where there are a whole bunch of us:

http://www.facebook.com/s.php?q=chesswas&init=q

craig son of cheswass said...

gday, my name is craig, son of pauline florance cheswass born 14 sept 1939, only child to fredrick and lilian chesswas northcote vic. harry chesswas was my mothers uncle. i recently found this site and rang my mother ,(becouse she dosent have a computer) and read out some of the posts and info found here, she was amazed when i read out the post from tanya, as for she said that harry never married and did not have childern. she has her blood line back to the ealry 1500"s and has no referance to any offspring from harry at all. and says that she remembers harry very well, and my mother said she had no ant, so she is very interested in thie claim that there is a lost bloodline through harry she dident know about. could someone send us proof of claim, regards craig.

alacuisine said...

OMG - I just came across this as I was trying to find pics of my dad in the RAF. His name was Ronald Mervyn Chesswas, and we emigrated from England to Wanganui, N.Z. way back in 1956. We lived there until 1967 and moved back to England, then emigrated to the U.S. I have handwritten memoirs from my grandfather about his life as a young boy in N.Z before he left to fight in WW1 in England. My father had a sister, Pat and a brother, Jack.
Dad always told me the name came from the 17th Century and we were cheese makers in the town of Was, or on the river Was. Would love to know the up to date version. Please keep me posted.

Cheers!
Sandra Chesswas (married name Serebreni)
Temecula, California
alacuisinechefs@gmail.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chez said...

In response to Craig. Harold Clarke Chesswas Obituary of Oct 24th 1956 in the Melbourne Argus states he was the loving husband of Toots Her name was actually Marian I believe they married in 1939. He Had a Son who also had a son and daughter this is fact. When you mention your Mother has her bloodline back to the early 1500`s do you mean the Chesswas family? This is certainly the right place to come for any information on the Chesswas family and apologies for such a late reply.

chez said...

In response to Sandra I have sent you an email and fb you and waiting a reply :)